Pages

11.12.2007

It's Always Fun Until Somebody Eats Too Many Free Cookies

PICT0348


Chris didn't want me to tell Savannah that we were headed to a Hannah Montana concert where we would be meeting Miley Cyrus until she and I actually walked into the arena.

I found this to be a bad idea for two reasons:

1. I was way too excited and could not possibly contain my secret for the hour long drive to San Diego (plus, my ears have a tendency to bleed when fielding the same repeated question from a six year old).

2. I was sure that the sheer magnitude of the moment would cause Savannah to embarrassingly break down sobbing in front of her idol. (Considering that I cried hysterically at 12 years old when I saw Luke Perry perform in a fashion show ...at a mall. But, that's just me. I forget that Savannah is a bit more well-adjusted.)

When I told Savannah in the car on the way to the concert, I handed her a glossy picture of Hannah Montana and announced "This is where we are going".

PICT0269


She didn't scream. She didn't cry. She stared at the picture in disbelief for a moment and then said almost to herself "I'm going to tell her our names rhyme."

Excellent plan.

This may shock some of you, but Savannah is obsessed with Hannah Montana. A six year old obsessed with a Disney pop star! I know, it boggles the mind.

She watches the show every day, she sings her songs pretty much constantly, and she is already the talk of the Kindergarten town because she has a Hannah Montana backpack which I won in a fierce smackdown bidding war with 13 other moms on Ebay for (whispering) $85.00 (/whispering).

Anyway, when I heard that Hannah Montana was going on tour, I immediately got online to buy tickets. During the last harrowing year of emotional and financial unrest, Savannah has been the silent victim through it all and she deserved something insanely special.

Insane turned out to be an understatement, however. Fancy Moses, those prices! Hundreds of dollars for basic nosebleed seats! Being anywhere close to the stage was a joke - it was in the thousands. I was shocked. I don't want to buy her kidney, I just want to see her perform.

I went back and forth on the issue, but in the end I just couldn't justify spending that kind of money. I know how the Internet wants to balance my checkbook, so I'm sure it couldn't either.

When she's older, I told myself.

Then, two days before the concert came to San Diego, I received an unbelievable offer from Disney via the amazingly talented Tracey Clark to, hold onto your bunny slippers, attend the Hannah Montana concert (see Lena tear up) as VIP guests with stage seating (see Lena sob with gratitude) and meet Miley Cyrus (see Lena crumple onto office floor hugging cat).

It's not that I'm a fan necessarily. In fact if I were being honest, I only recently figured out that Hannah Montana and Miley Cyrus are the same person. I know, I'm quick like that. (What's this you say about Clark Kent and Superman? Wha..?)

I was overjoyed because I could not imagine a better way to say "thank you" to my daughter for every time I've shooed her away over the last year because I had to work. Or pack. Or spend hours on the phone negotiating our house sale with the bank. Or unpack. Or cry on the couch.

What better way to say "I love you' than good old fashioned idolatry.

PICT0271


We arrived to the San Diego Arena about 47 hours early because I am notoriously late and I could not fathom being late to this concert. It's only taken me 30 years to know my own limitations and if that meant waiting in the god awful cold for three hours then so be it.

PICT0275
I'm warmed by my love.

When we were finally let in, the lovely people at HP draped VIP passes around our necks, gave us our tickets, and pointed us into the arena with specific directions to the HP reception where we would meet Miley before the show.

PICT0286
Hello! Scared. Of. Her.

I, of course, immediately darted off in the wrong direction and then ran around in circles, pleading with slack-jawed arena employees "But, I'm supposed to meet Miley Cyrus!" to which they would chuckle with each other before directing me to my dreams.

I ended up coming back outside three times for further directions from the HP people before I finally - swear to God - said these words to the HP executive "Can you please take me there? I'm an idiot."

I'm happy to report we finally made our way to the reception where I was greeted by free cookies and also free wine. Hold me closer, HP.

When it came time to walk down to our seats we were pumped. (Have I really rambled this long and this concert hasn't even started? Sheesh, don't be shy with the backspace key, Lena.)

PICT0296
This is what Joy at Six looks like.

Savannah was in shock when we were seated at the edge of the stage. As a matter of fact, she literally started flicking her face because she said "I can't believe this is really happening". Her sheer joy was absolutely priceless. (Literally!)

PICT0310
*flick*

The Jonas Brothers performed first and well, how old are they exactly? Because those were some tight pants. All I have to say about the Jones Brothers is that they are, um, fine young men. Their mothers should be very proud! Moving on!

PICT0309


Hannah Montana was, in a word, remarkable. What a performance! She came out as Hannah Montana first and then performed as Miley - the outfits, the dancing, the singing, the wigs - it was amazing. Let's just say it was a whole lot better than Luke Perry in a jean vest at the mall.

PICT0347


PICT0361

We ended up doing the Meet and Greet following the show. After an hour wait in line, Savannah walked up to her idol - looking like your average itty bitty 15-year-old in a green sweatshirt, albeit exhausted from her concert - and smiled wordlessly at her. Miley Cyrus gave Savannah an autograph, leaned in for a picture, and it wasn't until we exited the backstage that Savannah started breathing again.

Hannah Montana


That's when she stared at the autographed photo, her face beaming, and said "This is the best day of my life".

PICT0366
She totally thinks Hannah is going to be calling our house now.


I'm here to tell you that nothing will make you feel as old as taking your "baby" to a concert. I walked into that concert a few months out of my 20's and I left 109 years old. Seriously. I hobbled out with blisters, a migraine, heartburn, and a $700 purse that was literally dripping a trail behind me because someone's "Best of Both Worlds" Icee leaked all over the floor under my chair.

And yet I responded to her "Mine too, my love. Mine too".

~~~

As promised ...The Mrs. rocks!

This goes out to The Mrs.!

41 comments:

Lizzi said...

The only thing in the world better than treating yourself is treating your children! It's like Christmas ... Sounds like you had a blast!

Rubberbacon said...

Sounds like an amazing experience. I work in the toy business so I totally get how cool Hannah Montana is these days. Thanks for sharing!

Loth said...

Does it make you feel any younger to know that, until I read this post, I had no idea who Hannah Montana was? And that I am still not entirely sure (is she real? Made up? Is there a TV show? I am so old. And that's what I get for having boys)

prescott said...

Wait, who was the corporate sponsor again? I missed that.

And where's all the righteous indignation that you should have sold the tickets to pay down your bills? You're slipping, Internet.

Loth, my 4-year-old son is soooo jealous of Savannah Californiana right now, so it's not that you have boys, it's that you don't have *gay* boys.

Miss said...

Perfect! I'm glad she was able to experience this... glad for both of you!

Lena said...

Prescott,

I will proudly say thank you to HP. I'll do it in a boat. I'll do it in a coat. I'll do here or there. I'll do it anywhere.

Okay, I've had too much coffee. Dr. Seuss is a clear indicator of that.

Amy said...

Hey, I'm really glad HP coughed up some free tickets for you. Since you're in tight with them and all, perhaps you could tell them to spot putting expiration dates on their ink cartridges so they stop working even when they are 80% full of ink! (insert lots of swear words here!)
Savannah looks so incredibly happy. How awesome that you were able to give her something so memorable. You are totally going to be the Coolest Mom drop-off group now.

Amy said...

Ahem, not to spot putting expiration dates... mainly STOP. Am retarded.

prescott said...

Lest my comment be taken the wrong way, it was merely a lighthearted joke -- I would rebrand my whole damn site with the HP logo if I could score Hannah Montana passes (are you listening, HP?).

Crisanne said...

Wow, what an amazing gift! My little girl would be so excited, but probably too scared to actually go up to her.

PriscillaHowe said...

I'd never heard of Hannah Montana until this summer, when a mother at one of my storytelling performances told me that my DVD was right up there with Hannah Montana, according to her six-year-old daughter. Really? Huh? I've got to say, I'm a geeky 46-year-old woman with stories and puppets, not exactly used to being put in the same sentence as Disney. Then again, it's unlikely Hannah Montana could be enticed to perform at the public library in small towns in KS.

Anyway, how cool that you and your daughter had such a huge treat together! You'll both remember this one forever.

Misty said...

I am so jealous. I am not, persay, a HM fan either but my 8 year old really is... She was misinformed that the tour was coming near where we live, and it was devastating for her to learn the truth...
your experience sounded perfect!

superblondgirl said...

Oh, god, she is ADORABLE! I love how happy and excited she looks. Reading this, I am so taken back to the New Kids concert in sixth grade and how I screamed myself hoarse, and how amazing that was (and how embarrassed to admit it I am now...)

Lena said...

SBG - Don't even MAKE me tell you about the WHAM! concert. I cried real tears. And George Micheal was about an inch tall...on a monitor.

jen from boston said...

she will remember this day forever.

I didn't realized until the write up that she was flicking her face to check to see if it was all real. Priceless and so stickin' cute.

Michelle Smiles said...

She'll never forget this and will always think mommy is a bit of a hero for taking her. What a cool day!

Liz said...

Having only seen NKOTB at the mall as a comparison, I'm sure the Hannah Montana experience was just as freakin' awesome for your daughter.
What a wonderful experience!

A said...

That is sooo great! My daughter would fall all over herself if given that opportunity. She's 5 and loves Hannah too. I don't know who would squeal more, her, or me with excitement for her.

MamaLee said...

Just awesome! sounds like a real special time that you both will never forget!

Kristabella said...

I don't even know a single song or anything about Hannah/Miley, but I'm squeeeeeing over here at the excitement of it all! And how awesome that you got to treat your daughter to that! It's something she'll never forget!

chicken said...

Well...looks like you have "mother of the year" all wrapped up...I am going back to mocking my kids and teasing them about their shortcomings!!
kidding...looks like you had a blast! There really isn't too much that is better than watching your child have the absolute time of their life!!
And...I have 2 boys...so I am not quite familiar with the Hannah Montana/Billy Ray Cyrus thing...but damn if I can't tell you the scores from about every football game played this past weekend!!

Kristie said...

That is awesome! And my girls are 8 and 10 and still think Hannah is fabulous, so don't expect it to end anytime soon. Although, sadly, they didn't get to experience the concert for themselves. I don't think they realize that is an option and I'm not about to tell them otherwise.

I'm curious, though, how you managed to get photos of the concert and not get your camera confiscated? Good for you, though, because those pictures of your daughter's happy face are priceless!

chris said...

It's a good thing my 8 yr old doesn't read blogs, he would be so so jealous and disappointed that his mother didn't raise him in california ;-)

Sounds like you guys had a fabulous time.

The Hotfessional said...

That is the coolest story ever. I'm so happy for you and Savannah.

Kristen said...

In the words of Napoleon Dynamite, LUCKY.

anne at annenahm.com said...

And your next post is about how you got free shizzle, plz! Like high school locker room talk with all the dirty details!

Mrs. Chicky said...

That is one happy little girl. She'll think you're the best mom until she's at least 12.

jennster said...

you and i? pretty much the coolest moms ever.
http://jennnster.blogspot.com/2007/11/hannah-montana-greenday.html

Lisa said...

Yes. My just recently seven year old sister is...shall we say...slightly (and by slightly I mean really, very much so in an almost stalker-esque way) obsessed with Hannah Montana. I scoured every single store in the area for even a HM pencil box for school to no avail...the ticket prices were obviously out of the question. I would practically cut off one of my appendages for two of those tickets.

Laural Dawn said...

That sounds amazing! She looks soooo happy. I'm thrilled for you guys.

We recently had hanna montannah tickets at an auction at my work. One of my colleagues asked me to bid for her - we got up to $800 per ticket before I realized that the guy I was bidding against was willing to win no matter what.

My colleague left the auction in tears!

Laural Dawn said...

PS It was all about jason Priestly for me.
I loved him.

The Mrs. said...

A shout out? To ME! I'm (almost) embarrassed to admit that I am fighting back tears.

Loved the pictures. We're not into Hannah Montana at our house yet, but she's all the rage at school. A night none of you will ever forget, I'm sure!

Kim said...

I'm taking my daughter to the show here in Indianapolis in December!
We can't wait, looks like a blast!
You left feeling 109? I'll have about 50 years on ya! LOL!

Elle said...

I'm taking my daughter as a surprise too. After blogging about the conference and being featured on "Inside Edition" (seriously - they interviewed me about the ticket mess) I would have thought I would have gotten some ticket offers. However, in the end, it was my boss who saw my blog posting and told me he had extra tickets. Insane!

tracey said...

what a great photo essay of the adventure. nice work. and i'm thrilled you guys had such a great time. that's sweet!

creative-type dad said...

Wow!

I would use this experience as leverage in the future when she's a teenager asking for money

"Remember when we went to see Hannah Montana!?!"

Bobealia... said...

K, so you've had all these heartbreaking posts lately and hardships and THIS one about HANNAH MONTANA made ME cry. I know. I know? It is so wonderful that you were able to do something like that with S. I'm crying again (I must be pre-menstrual). I'm glad you guys are getting back on track.

kris said...

Wait, you didn't buy a 700 dollar Hannah Montana purse, did you? ;)

Savannah looks so happy - I'm so glad it was even better than Luke Perry (AS IF THAT'S EVEN POSSIBLE. PULLLLEASE.)

Jae said...

Wow! Hannah Montana?! That is a HOT ticket in this town too!!! Very cool!

On another note, I just received my first Meme "tag" and guess what? I am now sharing the fun with you! ;) I often lurk here, and comment sometimes... So, i thought you might want to play. :)

Head over to my site to see what it's about, if you feel like playing. :)

the internet said...

You're playing with your new OC friends, aren't you? We should've seen this coming... We know, we know: it's not us, it's you.

Oh, wait, maybe it is us. Is it our breath? It's our breath, isn't it?

bohgirl said...

Aw, so fun!! I'm excited for her! I love me some Hannah Montana.... is that weird at 30?


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.