Every day during the last two weeks of this escr*w process, I have assigned a ratio to the likelihood that this escr*w will actually close on August 31. It varies depending on the tone of the conversation with the m*rtgage companies.
On Friday when my imaginary friend, the sh*rt s*le speci*list, told me that the offer "looked good", I immediately called Chris and announced that the new figure was 60/40 in our favor. It was the first time anything felt in our favor since we listed the house almost a year ago.
Then when he got excited I ordered him to stop because "you'll jinx us, you fool!". As you've suspected, I am fun to live with.
Adding to that, the speci*list with the second m*rtgage - whom I have nicknamed Eyeore because I swear he's holding a stapler to the side of his head the entire time he's talking to me, he sounds so depressed - left me a message promising an answer by Wednesday and assuring us that it looked "favorable".
We spent the weekend feeling hopeful and then yesterday came. And my imaginary friend turned on me. After tracking her down through various voice mails, she finally returned my call. She was terse. She was negative. Worse, she told me she thought the investors would "have problems with our offer". I immediately emailed Chris at work. He emailed me back angrily. I responded exasperated. In the end we both had the same thing: an inbox full of two desperate people both arguing the same point with each other. Because no one else would listen.
I felt like a fool. A fool for ever thinking that we would be able to finagle our way out of this horrendous housing m*rket. A fool for getting a buyer and their family involved. Most of all, a fool for allowing myself to feel positive.
I broke the news to my re*ltor this morning. She sounded defeated. "We'll just wait and see" she sighed.
When I still hadn't heard from my imaginary friend at 10:00 tonight I assumed the worst.
Until a few minutes ago when I glanced at the phone's voicemail light.
"Chris, did you check messages today?".
"No". He walked over and pushed the button.
"Hi, Chris and Lena. Good news. Your sh*rt s*le has been approved."
Chris stood in the kitchen and stared at me sitting on the couch.
"Oh my God" one of us said.
And then my husband's eyes filled with tears.
"No!" I cried, "It's not over! The second m*rtgage hasn't answered us yet!"
And they haven't. It's not over. But, tomorrow we will know. Tomorrow we will hear from the second m*rtgage. We have cleared the biggest hurdle and for that I am grateful. I will allow myself to feel happy about that tonight...and to wish with all my heart that the second approval comes tomorrow.
And then I will let him cry.