Pages

8.21.2007

80/20

Every day during the last two weeks of this escr*w process, I have assigned a ratio to the likelihood that this escr*w will actually close on August 31. It varies depending on the tone of the conversation with the m*rtgage companies.

On Friday when my imaginary friend, the sh*rt s*le speci*list, told me that the offer "looked good", I immediately called Chris and announced that the new figure was 60/40 in our favor. It was the first time anything felt in our favor since we listed the house almost a year ago.

Then when he got excited I ordered him to stop because "you'll jinx us, you fool!". As you've suspected, I am fun to live with.

Adding to that, the speci*list with the second m*rtgage - whom I have nicknamed Eyeore because I swear he's holding a stapler to the side of his head the entire time he's talking to me, he sounds so depressed - left me a message promising an answer by Wednesday and assuring us that it looked "favorable".

We spent the weekend feeling hopeful and then yesterday came. And my imaginary friend turned on me. After tracking her down through various voice mails, she finally returned my call. She was terse. She was negative. Worse, she told me she thought the investors would "have problems with our offer". I immediately emailed Chris at work. He emailed me back angrily. I responded exasperated. In the end we both had the same thing: an inbox full of two desperate people both arguing the same point with each other. Because no one else would listen.

I felt like a fool. A fool for ever thinking that we would be able to finagle our way out of this horrendous housing m*rket. A fool for getting a buyer and their family involved. Most of all, a fool for allowing myself to feel positive.

I broke the news to my re*ltor this morning. She sounded defeated. "We'll just wait and see" she sighed.

When I still hadn't heard from my imaginary friend at 10:00 tonight I assumed the worst.

Until a few minutes ago when I glanced at the phone's voicemail light.

*blink* *blink*

"Chris, did you check messages today?".

"No". He walked over and pushed the button.

"Hi, Chris and Lena. Good news. Your sh*rt s*le has been approved."

Chris stood in the kitchen and stared at me sitting on the couch.

"Oh my God" one of us said.

And then my husband's eyes filled with tears.

"No!" I cried, "It's not over! The second m*rtgage hasn't answered us yet!"

And they haven't. It's not over. But, tomorrow we will know. Tomorrow we will hear from the second m*rtgage. We have cleared the biggest hurdle and for that I am grateful. I will allow myself to feel happy about that tonight...and to wish with all my heart that the second approval comes tomorrow.

And then I will let him cry.

27 comments:

red scorpion said...

lena - please post immediately when you find out I am on pins and needles and plus I am going to need to cry too. Because although I have never met you in real life I still care very much!!

chicken said...

Silly as this sounds...because I am lurker...and don't know you...but have a small girl crush on you anyway...just from your blog...my fingers and toes are crossed for you!!

Jennifer aka Binky Bitch said...

I hope the second mortgage comes through for you. Let us know, k?

Wack-A-Do said...

Lena,
It has to happen. It just does. My stomach is in knots hoping that Wed. brings good news. Fingers, toes and eyes are crossed for you.

Butrfly4404 said...

I'm thinking "Woo-Hoo!" in my head, but I'll wait for that until you hear back on the Second one.

Sending my BEST wishes!!

Stephanie D. said...

Oooh I'm feeling good vibes on this....I'm not psychic, but I play one on TV. I just know the 2nd mortgage will come through TOO!

Good luck..... :)

Kim said...

Oh, I am praying that this all comes through for you so that you can continue on without all the stress. Keep us posted!!

Heather said...

Oh, Lena. Hoping hoping hoping hoping hoping.

Let us know as soon as you know.

Ginny said...

Good luck, Lena! We are all pulling for you!

jen from boston said...

Fingers crossed....

Rubberbacon said...

Good luck Lena!!!

canape said...

Hoping with all hope for you.

blog Portland said...

Hope the good luck continues, as does the angry sex with Chris.

lisa said...

lena - please please please please please post when you know.. i've not posted in a while, but my heart has broken for you many a time over your house-selling nightmare.

i've got my fingers and toes crossed for you!

hugs, lisa

Laural Dawn said...

I totally teared up when I read this and I don't even know you.
My fingers are crossed for you ... so don't leave us hanging.
And, we've been there with the desperate e-mails going back and forth cause there is NO ONE to complain to.

Loralee Choate said...

I am really pulling for you. I could use an example that happy endings exist right about now!

superblondgirl said...

Hooray! I'm so happy for you. I hope so much that you jump that last hurdle and make it home free...

Anonymous said...

Good luck!!! And yes, I'm anonymous. Not because I said anything about your car (I just wallowed in jealousy silently), but because I'm just too lazy and tired (a 3 and 4 year old) to figure out how to identify myself.

You rock, Lena! Fingers and toes crossed...

DianaCLT said...

What everyone else said...I second that.
Still crossing everything but my legs (gotta keep the hubby happy ;)).
Hope you're celebrating your 80/20 with a margarita (or 2)!

Jenn said...

Let us know.

I hope your happiness spills over into reality.

Dawn said...

I'm pulling for you all. I hope it all goes well.

Daren said...

Good Luck, Lena!

DianaCLT said...

It's 5:25! You must know something by now!!!

Major Bedhead said...

Good luck! I hope it comes thru for you.

It's been interesting reading your blog because I'm 99% sure I'm about to be in a similar situation. So, maybe not fun interesting, more of a "fuck, this is gonna suck" interesting.

Caroline said...

The silence is deafening. I wish I could send you a Mai Tai or twelve. Hang in there, chickeeta. GOD I hate debt. What a reprehensible American tradition; it's worse than tramp stamps, worse than WWF, worse even than Carrot Top. Am sending all good thoughts in your general direction, hoping you and your family are out celebrating. ON A BUDGET, of course, all you haters out there! Celebrating on a BUDGET. (Am also hoping said budget allows for decent champagne, or at least some doughnuts.)

Erin said...

When you get a chance, can you explain what a "short sale" is? Does this impact a person's credit? Does the realtor still make a commission? I am confused.

islaygirl said...

erin -- google "short sale" and you'll find more than you'll ever want to know. basically it's convincing the bank that the property values in your area have dropped since you bought your house and getting them to cut a deal with you for less than your mortgage. (you don't get to walk away from the difference, but that's too complicated for me to explain.)

and lena! xx oo!!


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.