Pages

6.11.2007

Dear God, If Chris Gets This Job I Will Buy the World an Ice Cream

Chris is in an interview at this very moment.

An interview for a job which would allow us to make more money and move back to Orange County.

His boss was fired last week and his boss' boss gave Chris the opportunity to interview for a similar position (apparently, not his boss' actual position because Chris is still a young whippersnapper). If Chris gets this job, it will make our lives a whole lot easier. Even though it would mean he'll no longer work from home, it would mean more money. More money with which to lower the price of our house!

Most importantly, this job would give us hope. Hope that something good is on the horizon.

Since Chris is employed in the real estate industry, I am sure I do not need to tell you that business has been slow. Just last week Chris' biggest client shut down a branch and we fear that that may be an ominous sign. The way things are structured, Chris' income is tied closely to how the market is doing. Which, three years ago, was like Hello Coach bags! But, lately has been more like Hey, I found a nickel on the ground!

However, in this new job, it would ramp up the steady salary a bit, which would in turn help us 1) sell this house and 2) sleep at night.

So, the idea of obtaining this much more stable job in the industry and for a company he is already acquainted with and whose offices are on the coast...well, it's got his panties all in a bunch.

I knew he was nervous because when I came home this morning from my run getting a bagel, all the bathroom doors were closed with the fans on. Always an indicator of nerves around here.

I remember when we were first dating and working together at a bank and Chris had a huge interview for a Fortune 500 company. It was a dream job with all the perks and bonuses and a starting salary that almost doubled his current salary. I remember he called me on the way home breathless and exclaimed "I had to stop at gas station bathrooms all the way there, but I think I got the job!". You have to love that kind of perseverance..

I tried to act like this interview isn't a big deal as he was putting on his suit and tie. I didn't even say anything when I glanced at his resume as he was leaving and noticed that the only thing he left out was what he named his first dog. However, I couldn't resist just ever so nonchalantly suggesting he inquire if the company would like to buy our house.

Or at least put his family up in a corporate apartment on the beach with their Labrador retriever and two cats. You know, for the time being.

So, please keep your fingers crossed. I know he pissed you off in my last post, but to know him is to heart him. I promise.

*****

Apropos to nothing, I just read the best quote.

"The more complicated the Starbucks order, the bigger the asshole" - George Carlin.

You guys, I think I just found my new tagline.

Grande-nonfat-iced-orange-latte-with-half-a-pump-of-chocolate-syrup-no-whip in the house! I'm out and I'm proud.

UPDATE: Chris felt like his interview went so well that he said "Let's just say that I'll be shocked if I don't get an offer". The superstitious little old Italian woman who lives inside me started hissing and throwing salt around. So, now we wait. We're pros at that!

22 comments:

Virenda said...

My fingers are so crossed. I hope he gets this job and I know how much it would mean to you and him.

Good luck...Good fortune...


My Starbucks order used to be complicated but since I've given up sugar (yeah right) it's a lot less complicated. A lot less fun too.

chirky said...

Ooooo, do keep us updated.

Kelli in the Mirror said...

Hope he gets it!

How did you ever figure out that long name is what you like to drink? I never know what to ask for when I go to Starbucks. Uh, coffee? With maybe some whip and lots of sugary stuff?

Butrfly4404 said...

I never knew what to order at Starbucks. I'm such a midwestern dork. But then I found out that a nonfat cafe latte [iced] had like a hundred something calories and said "Okay, that's my drink!" Then I got one and I was pissed. It's just f*ing coffee!! :) We're Caribou people, I guess.

I really hope Chris gets this job. Even I get a little excited when things start lining up so well. And to think...maybe some family just starting out will finally be able to afford your house and your good fortune would spread itself around a little.

jen from boston said...

I know from previously posts you have a system for your coffee, but are you able to keep a straight face when you order? No, really. Because I would like to see this.

fingers crossed for you guys on that job.

Elle said...

I'll delurk to say go Chris! My hubs is up for a new job too and all I have to say is new jobs with more money... ahhh beautiful sleep.

As for the Starbucks order... Oh honey, my MIL is the queen of the assholes then. Tall, Non-fat, sugar-free, with 2 sweet-n-lo's, Cinnamon Dolce latte, 180 degrees stirred with whip. I am soooo embarrassed to order coffee for her.

janet said...

Good luck to you both. My husband is also up for his "dream" job - final interview with the bigwig is tomorrow - and I am dying of anxiety/excitement. Ahhhhhhh!

Summer said...

Peppermint Mocha Non-Fat,No Whip

All year long, Christmas lives in my coffee!

Lena said...

Ooh, Summer. That is a CLOSE second.

MommasWorld said...

I so hope he gets the job! It sounds like a wonderful opportunity for all of you. Please send us photos of the SOLD sign and of your new house when you move! Thinking positive thoughts!

jennster said...

fingers and toes crossed.... good luck!

Dad Gone Mad said...

I'm only saying this because you're my homegirl and I'm looking out for YOUR best interests, certainly not my own:

When you start looking for houses back here in the OC, there's one for sale on my street. We could be neighbors. You could make me cookies and shit.

MommyLane said...

Woman, put us out of our misery. Have you heard anything?????

Amy said...

fingers and toes are crossed....

Lena said...

DGM - No cookies. But, I make a mean mojito!

Jen - It is not hard at all to order my coffee seriously. Because: $3.90! For a coffee! I'd feel comfortable asking them to whistle the Barney song while they made it!

Lena said...

Kelli - My very first order was just a mocha. Ahh, to be young again.

The best Starbucks tip I can give is adjust your syrup pumps. Save money and calories and keep flavor. Mmmm. Going RIGHT NOW. Byeee!

NotAMeanGirl said...

LENA!!!! OMG I soooo hope this works out for you guys. My hubby went from working at Wallyworld to working for AT&T... I know what sweet relief a reliable income is heh.

Crystal said...

Good Luck!!!!!!!

Butrfly4404 said...

Okay! So!? WTH happened!?

Y said...

Well, I'm sad you won't be moving to Poopamonga, but dude, OC is so much closer and so I really need him to get this job too, because it's important that you're closer to me.

Bobealia... said...

Fingers and toes crossed.
Double times.

anne nahm said...

Crossed! In fact, just sending out so many good vibes I'll go ahead and say 'strawberry, please!'


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.