Pages

4.14.2007

Maternal Instincts...Are Those Extra?

I keep buying Savannah baby dolls and then playing with them myself. Okay, not playing with them, but there may have been an outfit change. And perhaps one or more babies were burped. In an effort to get her interested, of course.

But, Savannah would much rather play with her eighteen frillion stuffed animals. (That baby is nice and all mom, but it doesn't have soft fur. Or a tail.)

Since this has obviously alarmed me that she may NOT after all want to grow up to be a baby-making machine and perhaps instead a veterinarian, I was thrilled to see that yesterday she brought our her three baby dolls into the living room. Where she fed them, rocked them, laid them under blankets on the couch and then went to color at the kitchen table.

I decided to get all involved and said "Oh, no! Your baby's crying!"

She looks over to where her baby is bundled on the couch and says to it IN THE EXACT SAME VOICE AS I SAY IT "You're fine."

And went back to coloring.

HAHAHAHAHA.

Look for my new parenting book coming out in the Fall "How To Raise Children Who Just Don't Care".

15 comments:

Butrfly4404 said...

That's so funny! Half-way through I was thinking about how Sunshine talks to her babies! "If you don't leave her alone, you'll be in your room for THE REST OF THE NIGHT."

Haha, see, I told you they fight a lot...even the PRETEND kids in my house bicker!!

Jennifer said...

Oh Your Fine or Suck it Up...my favorite terms!

I fear, though, that these will be my son's first phrases. He's hears them enough.

Suburban Turmoil said...

I love it when my 3-year-old imitates me... unless it involves using the F-word.

Karen A. said...

My son's favorite thing to do is play with his sister's dolls. And my daughter could care less. Ha!

Virenda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Virenda said...

LOL. I really needed a laugh and that made me feel much better. The visual is great.

Shauna said...

ha ha ha!

My daughter started to cry and we asked my son to check on her. He glanced over at her and said, "No blood, she's fine." I'm still laughing about that one!

Brillig said...

I was the same kind of kid. I was never interested in dolls AT ALL!!! But it didn't turn out to mean that I would never produce offspring, in my case, because I...well... had four kids in four years.

Lara said...

It's good that she knows that moms needs time too. My first was so spoiled and overreacts to everything! But by my third she's just so easygoing.

Sandra said...

Oh how I am laughing ... with you. Yes with you.

Bobealia... said...

I was obsessed with my friend's black baby doll that had a penis. So ah, all I'm trying to say is that maybe you should like be happy with her choices.

Janet a.k.a. "Wonder Mom" said...

I would like to add some advice to that book too... I have plenty.
Such as: Get bent.
And: Cut the shit.
And: Stop being such a baby...act your age.
Those are my most used terms of endearment.

My daughter "babies" balls, trains, cars and balloons. Not baby dolls OR stuffed animals. Freak.

Lena said...

Admittedly, GET OVER IT is my favorite of all time.

My friend said the other day to her crying daughter "Get over yourself!". I shall steal it and make it MINE.

Tiffani said...

i just started reading your other blog on clubmom and you make me laugh!

i joined your group and now i'm going to read through your archives.

Thanks Lena!

BlondeMomBlog (Jamie) said...

I've started saying "I'm on to you" to my almost 5-year-old. I'm evil, but it does nip the manipulatressing in the bud!


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.