Pages

1.05.2007

Don't Blink

Having plans for the weekend takes on a whole new meaning once you become parents. Instead of "Let's check out the new restaurant downtown" it's "Why don't you stay here while I go to Home Depot?".

I remember during those first few months of having a new baby I would often lament our choice to ruin our lives. I would sit in the Saturday early morning darkness - also known as 4:00 am - with this baby in my arms and think "we have nowhere to go". I would watch the sun come up and think of all the weekend plans that rose with it in other people's lives and I would cry.

I know this seems dramatic now. But, the thing about parenthood is that every stage feels like it's never going to end. First, it seems like they're always going to be strapped to you. And then you soon learn that them strapped to you was way better than chasing them around the house all day prying their fingers off the cat's tail. And then that's replaced with the non-stop energy and the constant demands to "hold you" "go outside" "get out" "get down" "catch me" "sing song". Which is accompanied by impromptu napping on the floor mid-sentence from exhaustion.

Then just when you think you've got the toddler thing down they become little people who are holding up their end of arguments and asking tough questions and have strong opinions on food and movies and bedtime and homework and chores.

I realize that these stages go by so quickly and that one day soon Savannah will no longer beg me to "watch this!" or "can I come?" and that she'll start whispering on the phone to her friends and rolling her eyes at me and closing her bedroom door when I walk by.

And then I'll have my weekends back. And all I'll want is to be sitting in my living room at dawn with that baby on my chest again.

12 comments:

Kris H. said...

Ok...both of my kids have a birthday this month, so this is just makin' me CRY!

So true...how does it slip by so quickly when some days seem excrutiatingly LOOONNNGGG?!?!?!

Baba Ganoush said...

Alright, I'm a guy, so I'm not allowed to cry. If I were to cry, and I'm not saying I did, this would have done it.

Very well written post. My little guy is just starting the "my opinion" phase.

We also have a girl backing him up that is in the "so this is what crawling is like" phase.

It's amazing how the meaning of "weekend plans" has changed in the last 2.5 years. Would not trade it for anything though!

Great Post!

blog Portland said...

You just gotta love each moment. I take exception, however, to the time that my son threw up in my eye.

Bobealia... said...

blog portland actually made me laugh out loud!
Um, what was I going to say again? Something about the eye rolling starting as early as grade 2 in some cases.

Butrfly4404 said...

Oh, yeah, the eye rolling comes VERY early...also, muttering cuss words under their breath! (I know what you really said, little boy, I'm just waiting for the right time to get you for it!)

Glad you brought some fun to this one, Jay, cuz I didn't really have anything to say until I read your comment...I didn't get to do this with ANY of my kids.

Virenda said...

I find it fascinating that two years ago I thought life was going to consist of me sleeping in my closet, and trying to eat dust bunnies, and now I see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Kristin said...

We have our weekends back and all I can talk about is having another kid and spending my free time googling "Guatemala Adoptions".

So, go figure.

Lisa said...

I know what you mean! And wow, for being so little yet, they sure DO know how to argue.

(I tried to comment a few days ago but Blogger was being mean to me.)

I have been thinking of you alot in the past month or so -- ever since I read your post about how your daughter will say she's bored and you'd love more than anything else in the world to give her a sibling...

Whenever my son says, "I'm bored" and I've spent an hour playing with him, I think of you! Nice to know I'm in good company. :-)

Amanda said...

My four-year old daughter is rolling her eyes!! Those baby days fly by way too fast. Thank you, Lena.

Sarah said...

Believe me - before you know it they will be gone! And you will miss these days.

Undercover Angel said...

I'd give anything to have my children as babies on my chest again too. It seems they just keep getting older and older and like you said, each phase seems as if it will never end.

Beth said...

My kids are 2 and 4 and when I am not lamenting the loss of the person I was before they arrived, I am considering having another one.

Parenting is a strange journey. I am thankful for blogs like yours that help me to realize I'm not alone!

Keep up the good work!


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.