Pages

4.29.2006

I Like Long Walks In the Park and Short Cold Baths

It really came down to first time parenting.

Last night S. had a 104.6 fever. I don't know about you, but any fever above 102 makes my heart pound and I start sprinting around the room in circles repeating "It's okay! It's okay! Everyone stay calm. It's...all...fine. Everything is okay. Just...everyone stay calm, won't you?!!!"

Which was exactly my reaction upon reading the thermometer. I am so very grateful that we had taken her to the doctor's earlier even though she seemed to be feeling better. That way I at least had the fact that a doctor laid eyes on her that day and yet allowed us to leave, running in the back of my head.

I started barking random contradictory orders to Chris and immediately called my mother-in-law. She was a nurse for decades and I find her incredibly soothing in these circumstances. She told me to start a cool bath and mop S under her armpits with cool rags.

With the phone on one shoulder I began frantically stripping and mopping S down in the bathroom while she cried and shivered. All the while talking a mile a minute straining to be as soothing as possible.

"Ohyoujusthavealittlefeverthat'sokaythisisnormalIknowit'scoldwe'realmost
donetomorrowmommy'sgoingtobuyyoutwentytoys..."

My daughter, being bright, picks up on the fact that I'm foaming at the mouth and seems concerned.

I then made the mistake of cheerfully asking "You want mommy to get in the bath with you?" Which she of course agrees to.

And then once I am actually freezing my ass off in the ice water, decides she's not joining me.

I coax her to the edge of the tub where I convince her to at least dangle her feet in while I read her a book.

So, imagine if you will. I am naked and sitting in a frigid bath reading a book to my feverish child who is gingerly resting on the edge of the tub wrapped in a fashionable towel.

As if that wasn't awkward enough (and completely pointless) add my husband to the mix, whom I have actively prevented from seeing me nude recently due to the recent weight gain and who now gazes upon me fat, pale, naked, and for the love of god, sitting, in the tub.

I am happy to report that the fever was eventually brought down and with my child intact. I wish I could say the same for my pride.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Comments

Ahhh, the things we do for your babes. :) Glad your little one has recovered!

Posted by: shizzknits | 04/29/2006 at 08:00 PM

Did you happen to see where you were on my hotness chart?

Posted by: Chris | 04/29/2006 at 08:18 PM

Poor S.! I would have freaked out over the fever. Give her big hugs and kisses and tell her your blog friends hope she gets better real soon!And poor Chris! He was probably so torn. Wanting to get S. better, yet wanting to jump in the tub and attack his cold naked wife.

Posted by: hook | 04/29/2006 at 09:10 PM

Oh honey! Poor little S. You make me want to have kids and be as good of a mom as you are!And just think. By Monday, she'll be running around like crazy again. Kids are so resilliant. And I so spelled that word wrong.

Posted by: Marcia | 04/29/2006 at 09:16 PM

That does not sound like fun.I love your description though. You freakin crack me up. I hope S continues to get better... and that you don't have to revisit the tub anytime soon!

Posted by: Kelly | 04/29/2006 at 11:13 PM

What a good mama. Another thing to bring up at her edding day when you toast her...

Posted by: Dawn | 04/30/2006 at 01:37 AM

Poor S. Poor YOU! At least you can keep your sense of humor about it. I hope S is feeling better!

Posted by: Denise | 04/30/2006 at 05:32 AM

You always manage to make me laugh and cry at the same time. I can picture the entire scene - right down to the fluffy stylish towel that your daughter was wrapped up in. I'm glad she is feeling better.

Posted by: Jessica | 04/30/2006 at 07:37 AM

I would have freaked over the high fever too!Glad she is doing better and you are NOT fat!

Posted by: mommyof4 | 04/30/2006 at 09:05 AM

Awwww...the things we do without even a second thought for our kiddos. You rock.

Posted by: mama_tulip | 04/30/2006 at 10:40 AM

Sounds like some great mom-ing to me!

Posted by: landismom | 04/30/2006 at 12:51 PM

I hope she feels better soon, I have a vomiting child at the moment too. No fever just pukey ugh.

Posted by: WendyWings | 04/30/2006 at 04:53 PM

LOL! I can just picture my husband if he walked in while I was in the tub. I'm glad your little one's fever came down.

Posted by: Undercover Angel | 04/30/2006 at 06:34 PM

Awww. Someday you will tell S that story so she will understand what you did for her. At least you were able to laugh about it--afterward. Hope she's feeling better soon. I can see why you were concerned about such a high temperature.

Posted by: Caryn | 04/30/2006 at 07:14 PM

Oh Lena, don't be so hard on yourself. I saw your photo with that cute black top, you're not fat at all! I think it's so cute you jumped into the tub for S., the things mothers do for their kids, sheez. I'm so glad her fever went down. I don't know how you did it. My H. had a fever the other day and I had to force motrin down her throat with a dropper. she wouldn't let me come near her with even a cold wet washcloth after that let alone bathe in tub of ice water!

Posted by: Chic Mommy | 04/30/2006 at 09:08 PM

I've had a number of occasions where something popped out of my mouth at an emotional moment and I immediately regretted it - but thankfully I have never offered to take a cold bath with my child.

Posted by: Amanda | 05/01/2006 at 09:01 AM

OH, you poor thing. What a good mom. Sacrificing your pride and comfort for your sweet little girl. I hope she's feeling better soon and that you're okay, too.

Posted by: Heather | 05/01/2006


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.