Pages

3.26.2006

Reality Still Bites

TRY and tell me that this movie is not the best movie ever!

I can still watch it 10 years later and it rocks so hard. But, for different reasons now. I pick up on comments that I never got before, being a teenager. Now, I'm in awe of how they so perfectly captured that early twenty angst. I realize how much I took away from this movie and incorporated into my own personality for good - the sarcasm, the phrases, the definition of irony, my VIEW ON LIFE.

Just when I think Ethan Hawke is a has been and I have no interest in him, I see this movie and remember. Ah, yes. I remember. Brilliant tortured soul. Saying things like this,:

"Life is just a random lottery of meaningless tragedies and a series of near escapes."

And Janeane Garofolo! Her comic timing is perfection.

"I just realized I am now manager of The Gap. I'm responsible for alllll those t-shirts. French cut. V-neck. Ribbed. What have you. Duuude, I'm in trouble."

Is the scene of them dancing in the convenience store to "My Sharona" not priceless?


And Ben Stiller could not have captured "awkward yuppie hypocrite" better. Could not.

Winona - you can steal all the Barney shirts you want. You will always be queen in my book.

The dialogue is sheer brilliance. If you have not experienced this movie recently, watch it today. Remember what used to speak to you.

You. Me. Five bucks. Good conversation. That is what's it's still all about my friends.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Comments

Don't forget to mention the intense sex scene. I don't remember much about that movie, but I remember that!

Posted by: Ficklechick | 03/25/2006 at 01:12 PM

I love that movie! wow... remember the day when 2 cups of coffee only cost $5? Now it's more like you, me, and $10.My favorite lines are "I was valedictorian of my university." "Well, sugar, you don't have to put that on your application!"and... "There is no secret handshake. There's an IQ prerequisite, but there's no secret handshake."

Posted by: Marcia | 03/25/2006 at 01:28 PM

I love this movie. I still get a bit weepy at the end.

Posted by: mama_tulip | 03/25/2006 at 01:30 PM

Very impressive Marcia! I debated using the valedictorian line - sugar booger! ;)

Posted by: Lena | 03/25/2006 at 02:49 PM

I haven't seen that movie in years, but it just occurred to me today. How funny. I love the soundtrack, though. Some terrific songs. May have to watch it again, now that I'm older. I'd forgotten that anyone but Winona Ryder and Ethan Hawke were in it, but it's got a great cast.

Posted by: Caryn | 03/25/2006 at 08:56 PM

OK, I'll netflix it, but for some reason I don't remember liking it the first time.If Queen L likes it, it must be pretty darn good. Ok that will be the last time I refer to you like that.

Posted by: Freakren | 03/25/2006 at 09:09 PM

Do you ever get that not so fresh feeling?

Posted by: robin | 03/26/2006 at 06:12 AM

Wow. A movie I actually haven't seen yet. I'll have to check it out sometime this week.

Posted by: ~ Stacy ~ | 03/26/2006 at 04:32 PM

"Don't Bogart the can man"I LOVED this movie too. LOVED it. Maybe this is the movie I need to get my husband to watch so that he will not hate Ethan so much... hmm.. it's an idea.Ethan just might end of ruining the movie for him.I LOVE jeannine or however you spell her name.I LOVE the scene with my sharona in the store. I never knew that Evian was Naive spelled backward before that.I learned so much...

Posted by: Jessica | 03/26/2006 at 08:04 PM

Okay so you told me about this and I am the last person on earth that HASN'T seen it. So I put it on my que list and will receive it shortly. I'm sure I'll love it.

Posted by: Virenda | 03


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.