Pages

3.26.2006

I Like Agreeable

Am I a horrible person because I really like my daughter when she is sick?

Healthy, she is lovely, but a bit argumentative. And insistent. Also, impatient. And a whiner. I know, I know, she gets it all from her dad. Exactly what I was thinking.

But, when she's sick, even with just sniffles, she becomes quiet and soft and affectionate.

She tenderly inquires about breakfast rather than yelling up the stairs at me "Where's my pancakes?!". She requests kindly that I sit with her and watch a movie and even lets me use my laptop without interrupting me every five seconds to watch every damn scene in Monsters, Inc. She's good for only three games of Whack-A-Mole rather than 900. She pets my arm while I pet hers. When I ask if she wants a smoothie she replies "That's okay mommy" instead of "I hate smoothies".

And she doesn't follow me around with "Is it time to see my friends now? How about now? When the clock says one-one-three-zero? How about then?".

I realize this is because she doesn't feel well and I do want her to get better quickly of course. I do. Just minus the whining. I'll try to do the same.

Updated to add: I take it back! I want my insolent, petulant, beautiful, fiery daughter with attitude back! When fevers get over 102, I don't. like. it!
________________________________________________

P.S. - The "meme" S is holding in the picture is her comfort blankie. Kinda funny story: When she was about four months old, she started to have really bad colic. She would cry all the time. Chris would get up with her in the morning and I would run to the gym before he had to leave for work. One morning, I'm coming up the steps to our front door and I can already hear her wailing. When I get inside both she and Chris are inconsolable. He leaves for work and I spend an hour unsuccessfully trying to calm her down. Then I remembered reading somewhere that babies like a familiar scent with them when you put them down. So, desperate, I pull off my workout shirt and lay it with her in the crib. She immediately rolls her face into it and falls asleep. I haven't gotten it back since.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Comments

I'm the same way when my kids are sick! I give them the Tylenol to make them feel better, just not the entire dose.....

Posted by: Ficklechick | 03/26/2006 at 01:30 PM

Kids being sick can also be demanding. Nice that you can get some extra quiet cuddle time with her being sick. Hope she feels better soon.

Posted by: Reverberate58 | 03/26/2006 at 02:29 PM

I must admit, when Emily is sick, she is quiet and still (whispering- and I like it too)

Posted by: Dawn | 03/26/2006 at 04:29 PM

Awww. So true, so true.I like it when mine are sleeping. They're such angels then.

Posted by: ~ Stacy ~ | 03/26/2006 at 04:30 PM

I agree with you about liking my kid when he's sick. He's not so stubborn, argumentative or whiny. :) And he has a bear that he can't live without.

Posted by: Survivin | 03/26/2006 at 05:14 PM

Um, have you washed the work out shirt Lena?She sounds absolutely wonderful when she is sick.

Posted by: Jessica | 03/26/2006 at 07:09 PM

Yup, when Julia's sick and sits in my lap for the duration of an entire movie, and lets me play with her hair while she lies there, I can't help but wish she'd let me do that all the time.And the workout shirt? Freakin' ADORABLE.

Posted by: mama_tulip | 03/26/2006 at 07:43 PM

I get the same way when I'm sick. Except that I love smoothies.

Posted by: blog Portland | 03/26/2006 at 09:09 PM

You always know the right thing to say on my blog comments. I wish I lived near you. As far as the babies being sick, mine has been sick too often lately to enjoy the clinginess but when she got really sick the first time was the first time I'd seen her be that sweet and needing of mommy. I have to admit as scared and sad as I was, I loved being needed like that.

Posted by: Stefanie | 03/26/2006 at 09:36 PM

Yelling up the stairs at Tony "Where's my life?!", never seems to work either.S. Looks so cute, hopes she feels better, wait maybe not?

Posted by: Freakren | 03/27/2006 at 04:31 AM

She looks so sweet!!I hope she feels well soon -and lol about the shirt!

Posted by: Sam | 03/27/2006 at 07:35 AM

Oh, that's too cute! I like my dog better when she's sick, too. Then she follows me quietly around, looking up at me with big, brown puppy eyes. The rest of the time she's barking, demanding that I throw her tennis ball for her, or ripping dryer sheets up under the couch.

Posted by: Jess Riley | 03/27/2006 at 08:08 AM

Sick kids can be so much easier to handle.She looks just like my Katie she sucks her thumb and holds her pillow I made for her:)

Posted by: mommyof4 | 03/27/2006 at 08:38 AM

I always figured sick kids would be whiny, cranky, and otherwise disagreeable, but every mother I know seems to like her kid better when sick. Adorable picture and story, too.

Posted by: Caryn | 03/27/2006 at 11:08 AM

I know what you mean Lena, when my kids ar sick they are MUCH less argumentative and I do like that, plus laying on the couch watching TV all day suddenly becomes okay.Hope S feels better.(I always wondered about the blankey thing, that's really cute.)

Posted by: Virenda | 03/27/2006 at 11:13 AM

I am TOTALLY there with you - when he's sick, J will actually sit down and quietly watch TV for more than 10 minutes at a time. While I get to read.Absolute bliss, I tell you. Absolute bliss.

Posted by: doggerelblogger | 03/27/2006 at 12:36 PM

What a sweet kid - when she's sick, of course. ;D My little man is so sweet when he's sick, he just wants me to hold him while he sucks his thumb and holds his lovie. So precious.

Posted by: Faith | 03/27/2006 at 01:11 PM

oh!! she´s so beautiful...

Posted by: ana | 03/27/2006 at 01:46 PM

I know, they are soooo sweet when they are sick and they sleep a lot as well. I am sorry her fever is so high.

Posted by: Ditsy Chick | 03/27/2006 at 08:45 PM

I know what you mean totally! Aren't they so nice when they're sick and cuddly and sniffly? It's nice...for a while, then you just get tired of it. I know.

Posted by: Cityslicker Mom | 03/31/2006 at 08:52 PM

she's so gorgeous!!! poor little lamb*my guys sre cute too when sick but its just so difficult being up all night stuck at home and having the other one needing attention too!i hope you are all better soon*

Posted by: keda | 04/27/2006 at 02:29 AM

I like my son sick too! That is the only time he will sit still long enough to let me snuggle. And both of my kids have a "shirty"-my son has a pajama shirt of mine and my stepdaughter has her dads undershirt. They always sleep with it

Posted by: Tanya | 12/22/2006 at 07:21 PM


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.