Pages

2.10.2006

Blog Envy

You know what I'm talking about. Don't lie to yourself. You've just spent three hours drafting the perfect post. Funny, but not too funny, thought-provoking, a tad racy. You're a little smug.

Then two days go by: nothing. No comments.

So, you start browsing other blogs and you come across one with a recent post title of like,"Why My Hamster Is Fun". But, wait. She has 76 comments! People love her! They're flocking to her! So, you take a look at her profile. She's in your age range. She lives in suburbia like you do. She has the same number of kids you do. She's just like you! You're so similar and yet, so not. And then the jealousy starts. You're thinking 'I'm better than this!' And yet you have to remind your husband to read you. You're miffed.

But, this. This is the worst scenario. You see a great blog - one to make all the blogs bow in respect - and the content is freaking amazing. She's funny, she's honest, she's subtle. You want to hate her. But, you can't. Despite yourself, you're laughing out loud and clamping your hand over your mouth. She's awesome. And you can't even claim to be funnier than her. She rocks.

And then you realize that there really is no original thought. We are all out here in the dark vast blogosphere inspiring each other - bringing different perspectives to the light. We're like one big blog. And you wish them the best. ...and start emailing their audience bribes.

p.s.- No offense to people who have actually written about their hamsters. I'm sure you made it very... interesting.

16 comments:

Trouble In ShangriLa said...

I've never thought this. Never. (Do you have a camera in my computer monitoring my activities during the work day, by the way?)

Kimmy and Jacob said...

Agreed! (Did you read my hampster story? :p)

chicmommy said...

girl, I have blog envy too. I'm never satisfied with the way my blog looks or reads, I don't know if I ever will. I always feel like everyone else has it all figured out and I'm the last one on the blog wagon trying to catch up.

Chris said...

Its funny that you mention how there is no original thought. As it turns out, there is original thought and it begins on a small rural farm in upstate New York, where a small unasuming hamster makes his home. Original thought begins with this hamster. What a coincidence!

sam said...

My hamster posts get a lot of attention, lol. I tend to go to the same blogs over and over, so this week I'm exploring. This is a fun blog. Even if there are no hamster posts. Will have to widen my horizons!http://samanthawinston.blogspot.com/

~Stacy~ said...

Okay, I have just one question ..."Who's the rat fink that outed me on the email bribing? Huh, huh? I wanna know."Not that I would ever stoop to revenge, but ... I've got a pycho hamster here that's ready to wreak havoc in someone's pc tower. Just point 'em in the right direction, will ya.Heh.

WendyWings said...

There are no hamsters in New Zealand so I know it's not me.No one would ever have blog envy in regard to me so I am safe :)

Renee Cassara said...

You know, it's sad you are so sensitive about your blog. Just let me know if you need any help with ideas or you want me to do some editing. hehe love ya.

Virenda said...

LOve this blog Lena, you know I totally get the whole Blog Envy thing. :0) ~sigh~ The cartoon girl is great by the way.You know you don't have ANYTHING to be envious of, your blog is awesome because your writing is awesome.

Leilouta said...

I know... I could've done better myself if I didn't tell my brothers and friends about my blog.I can't write about my funny crazy secrets now! Damn it!:)

Amanda said...

I can't believe you feel this way!! Just so you know, I think your stuff is hysterically funny and I read yours every day. I've even made my husband read it! I totally have blog envy, but I thought it was just because of being such a novice...

caryn said...

I've been having a day like that. I've been feeling left out and sad and unpopular in the blogging world, and how pitiful is that? I even thought about blogging about it, but my post would have been much more maudlin and far less funny than yours, and it would have come across more as a public pity party coupled with a threat to metaphorically take my ball and go home. So I didn't.

Kelly said...

Jealous.Of you.And your made up hamster headline.Flipping hilarious!

iKat said...

I wanna be Cheeky when I grow up.poutstompsulkBlog envy, wazzat?In my book, you are an absolute blogging goddess! ;-) How do you flippin do it? Makes ME wanna flip sometimes.Blog envy, wazzat?

caryn said...

Nah, yours definitely didn't come across as a pity party. I love posts that reveal thoughts that I've secretly had before but hadn't voiced, which is what I think your post did. It was just funny because I'd been thinking about writing on a similar topic yesterday, and with the funk I was in, if I'd posted it at the time, it would have come across as a pity-fest, which is why I didn't post. Mine wouldn't have been funny or interesting or anything, really, except an invitation for people to worship me in the comments section and tell me I don't suck.I, too, adore coming across new bloggers I hadn't noticed before. I enjoy reading the biggies like Dooce and Finslippy, but I like even more reading the stories of smart, funny, unfamous women living their daily lives. (Which is one reason I'm back here. :-) )

kimba said...

Hey, I totally understand! I found your blog randomly, but it was one of the few that made me smile, so I'm adding it to my fave list. I'm splashing around in this blog world, so who knows what will happen?http://keverly.blogspot.com


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.